What is the ketogenic diet?
“Ketogenic” is a term for a low-carb diet (like the Atkins diet). The idea is for you to get more calories from protein and fat and less from carbohydrates. You cut back most on the carbs that are easy to digest, like sugar, soda, pastries, and white bread. Well, severely restraining oneself from carb intake, keeping moderate protein consumption, and ingesting high fat is the way. Most ketogenic diet plans recommend having 5% of calories as carbs, 25% from protein, and 70% from fat.
When you eat less than 50 grams of carbs a day, your body eventually runs out of fuel (blood sugar) it can use quickly. This typically takes 3 to 4 days. Then you’ll start to break down protein and fat for energy, which can make you lose weight. This is called ketosis. It’s important to note that the ketogenic diet is a short term diet that’s focussed on weight loss rather than the pursuit of health benefits.
A ketogenic diet may help you lose more weight in the first 3 to 6 months than some other foods. This may be because it takes more calories to change fat into energy than it does to turn carbs into energy. It’s also possible that a high-fat, high-protein diet satisfies you more, so you eat less, but that hasn’t been proved yet.
However, it should be for a short time. It has tremendous health hazard if anyone follows it for the long term. Keto diet alludes to express the body enters when one practices this kind of Diet. This is just a condition called ketosis when the body goes in such a situation, which gets its name because the body in this state produces something- referred to as ketones. How would you get your body to the condition of ketosis?
Why Do You Want to Reach Ketosis?
You know what? The body produces ketones while the body is in the state of ketosis. Furthermore, the body uses ketones as its key vigour source when there is the absence of carbs in the body. It is because it can’t use glucose as its energy supply.
Does that mean glucose is terrible? No. If one consumes a meal high in carb, that meal releases plentitude of glucose that the body now needs to use; if the body doesn’t use or burn this glucose, it then transforms into adipose (fat). This means glucose as an energy source which is alright. However, one’s body might end up gaining some adipose tissues.
Also read : Understanding the Stages of Intermittent Fasting
This was an overall idea of what the Ketogenic Diet works for our body. Yet, many questions the risks and dangers associated with this diet system. Is it suitable as a short term weight loss plan, or is it not? Will one stay healthy as he/she uses this method over time?
Hazardous Factors Connected to Ketogenic Diet
- Generating ketones as the primary energy source is excellent. However, too much of ketone can be fatal. It’s suggested to be careful to maintain ketones at a non-toxic level. The most dreaded complication is the ketoacidosis; too high levels of ketones, especially in people with type 1 diabetes. This situation can cause this potentially fatal condition. Therefore, it’s advised to consult your physician before you start a ketogenic diet.
- A high-fat diet may be challenging to maintain in the long term. One may develop symptoms of carbohydrate restrictions like Hunger, Fatigue, Irritability, Constipation, Headache, Brain Fog, etc.
- As long term side effects, one could increase the risk of developing osteoporosis and renal stones.
- The overall life span falls in shorter when people take low carb diets (animal-based). This is what the experts found in their data in North America and Europe. Thus, experts discourage to intake low carb diets for long.
- Studies hypothesize that western-type eats fewer carbs that limit carbs regularly bring about lower admission of vegetables, natural product, and grains, and with that, lower access of fibre. This prompts more noteworthy consumption of animal proteins and fats. And you know what? This condition leads to inflammation and ageing in the body.
- When a person takes more beef, lamb, pork, chicken, and cheese, avoiding carbs, the risk of death increases. The scientist found it in their study. While there lay more endangerments associated with the ketogenic Diet, the available research on this is limited.
- Early evidence may suggest that the keto diet is advantageous. However, keep in mind that it is beneficial only for a short time. However, the side effects and difficulty of compliance question the use of such Diet as a long term weight loss plan.
Do you want to take so much of risks by following Keto diet, even when you can get similar results by adopting a healthy diet?
If still the answer is yes, then follow the keto diet only under medical supervision with close monitoring of blood ketones.
Since you can not follow it for a long time so in actual it, not a permanent solution for your weight loss, having a healthy balanced diet at the right time in the right proportions and following some fundamentals of same is the only long term solution which should always be adopted, besides, you can start video call yoga classes or even video call fitness program to lose your weight under the supervision of an expert. Yoga and fitness program have promising benefits to your health.
Consult to our experts about Keto Diet – https://fitrofy.com/
Download Best app in India for Weight Loss Today..